Smaller Default Larger

Concerns and Complaints Policy  

“People will find it easy to complain and get things put right when the service
they receive is not good enough.”


  • We are committed to dealing effectively with any concerns or complaints you may have about our service

  • We aim to clarify any issues about which you are not sure and If possible,
    we’ll put right any mistakes we may have made.

  • We will provide any service you’re entitled to which we have failed to deliver. 

  • We also aim to learn from our mistakes and use the information we gain to improve our services.


If we got something wrong, we’ll apologise and where possible 
we’ll try to put things right. 


When to use this policy?

When you express your concerns or complain to us, we will usually respond in the way we explain below.

However, sometimes you may have a statutory right of appeal, so rather than investigate your concern or complaint; we will explain to you how you can appeal. 

Sometimes, you might be concerned about matters that are not decided by us and we will then advise you about how to make your concerns known. 

Also, this policy does not apply if the matter relates to a Freedom of Information or Data Protection issue.  

In this circumstance, you should contact Dafydd Jones, Head of Corporate Resources. 


Have you asked us yet? 

If you are approaching us for a service for the first time, (e.g. reporting a faulty street light, requesting an appointment etc.) then this policy doesn't apply. 

You should first give us a chance to respond to your request. 

If you make a request for a service and then are not happy with our response, you will be able to make your concern known as we describe below.   


Informal resolution 


  • If possible, we believe it’s best to deal with things straight away rather than try to sort them out later. 
  • If you have a concern, raise it with the person you’re dealing with. 
  • He or she will try to resolve it for you there and then.  
  • If there are any lessons to learn from addressing your concern then the member of staff will draw them to our attention.   
  • If the member of staff can’t help, they will explain why and you can then ask for a formal investigation.



Dealing with your concern or complaint

  • We will formally acknowledge your concern / complaint within   5 working days and let you know how we intend to deal with it.

  • We will ask you to tell us how you would like us to communicate with you and establish whether you have any particular requirements – for example, if you have a disability.

  • We will deal with your concern in an open and honest way.

  • We will make sure that your dealings with us in the future do not suffer just because you have expressed a concern or made a complaint.  


Normally, we will only be able to look at your concern / complaint if you tell us about them within 6 months; this is because it’s better to look into your concerns while the issues are still fresh in everyone’s mind. 


We may exceptionally be able to look at concerns which are brought to our attention later than this. However, you will have to give us strong reasons why you have not been able to bring it to our attention earlier and we will need to have sufficient information about the issue to allow us to consider it properly. 


In any event, regardless of the circumstances, we will not consider any concerns about matters that took place more than three years ago. 


If you’re expressing a concern on behalf of somebody else, we’ll need their agreement to you acting on their behalf.


What if there is more than one body involved?


If your complaint covers more than one body (e.g. Housing Association and Council re noise nuisance) we will usually work with them to decide who should take a lead in dealing with your concerns. You will then be given the name of the person responsible for communicating with you while we consider your complaint.

If the complaint is about a body working on our behalf (e.g. repair contractors, Scheme Manager) you may wish to raise the matter informally with them first.

However, if you want to express your concern or complaint formally, we will look into these ourselves and respond to you. 



We will tell you who we have asked to look into your concern or complaint. 

  • If your concern is straightforward, we’ll usually ask somebody from the department to look into it and get back to you.

  • If it is more serious, we may use a partner or in certain cases we may appoint an independent investigator.

We will set out to you our understanding of your concerns and ask you to confirm that we've got it right.

We’ll also ask you to tell us what outcome you’re hoping for.

The person looking at your complaint will usually need to see the files we hold relevant to your complaint.

If you don’t want this to happen, it’s important that you tell us.


Stage 1 - Informal resolution

If there is a simple solution to your problem, we may ask you if you’re happy to accept this. For example, where you asked for a service and we see straight away that you should have had it; we will offer to provide the service rather than investigate and produce a report.

We aim to resolve a Stage 1 complaint within 10 working days.


Stage 2 - Formal internal investigation

If your complaint is more complex, we will:

  • let you know why we think it may take longer to investigate

  • tell you how long we expect it to take.

  • let you know where we have reached with the investigation, and  give you regular updates, including telling you whether any developments might change our original estimate.

We aim to resolve a Stage 2 complaint within 20 working days.


The person who is investigating your concerns will aim first to establish the facts. The extent of this investigation will depend on how complex and how serious the issues you have raised are. In complex cases, we will draw up an investigation plan.

In some instances, we may ask to meet you to discuss your concerns. Occasionally, we might suggest mediation or another method to try to resolve disputes. 

We’ll look at relevant evidence. This could include files, notes of conversations, letters, e-mails or whatever may be relevant to your particular concern. 

If necessary, we’ll talk to the staff or others involved and look at our policies and any legal entitlement and guidance.


Putting Things Right

  • If we didn't provide a service you should have had, we’ll aim to provide it now if that’s possible.

  • If we didn’t do something well, we’ll aim to put it right.

  • If you have lost out as a result of a mistake on our part we’ll try to put you back in the position you would have been in if we’d got it right.

  • If you had to pay for a service yourself, when you should have had one from us, we will usually aim to make good what you have lost.


If we formally investigate your complaint, we will let you know what we have found in keeping with your preferred form of communication. 

This could be by letter or e-mail, for example. If necessary, we will produce a longer report.

We’ll explain how and why we came to our conclusions.  


  • If we find that we got it wrong, we’ll tell you what and why it happened. We’ll show how the mistake affected you.
  • If we find there is a fault in our systems or the way we do things, we’ll tell you what it is and how we plan to change things to stop it happening again.

  • If we got it wrong, we will always apologise.


Learning lessons

We take your concerns and complaints seriously and try to learn from any mistakes we've made. 

Our Executive Management Team considers a summary of all complaints quarterly as well as details of any serious complaints. 

Our Board also considers our response to complaints at least twice a year.  




If we do not succeed in resolving your complaint, you may complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. The Ombudsman is independent of all government bodies and can look into your complaint if you believe that you personally, or the person on whose behalf you are complaining: 

have been treated unfairly or received a bad service through some failure on the part of the body providing it

have been disadvantaged personally by a service failure or have been treated unfairly.

The Ombudsman expects you to bring your concerns to our attention first and to give us a chance to put things right. You can contact the Ombudsman by: 

  • phone:         0845 601 0987
  • e-mail:         This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • website:
  • writing to:    Public Services Ombudsman for Wales, 1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae, Pencoed CF35 5LJ


There are also other organisations that consider complaints. For example, the Welsh Language Commission about services in Welsh. We can advise you about such organisations.


What if I need help?

Our staff will aim to help you make your concerns known to us. If you need extra assistance, we will try to put you in touch with someone who can help.

You can also use this concerns and complaints policy if you are someone under the age of 18. If you need help, you can speak to someone on the Meic Helpline ( phone 080880 23456, ) or contact the Children’s Commissioner for Wales. Contact details are:


  • Tel: 01792 765600 (South Wales)
  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Website:
  • Oystermouth House Phoenix Way, Llansamlet, Swansea, SA7 9FS 



What we expect from you

In times of trouble or distress, some people may act out of character. There may have been upsetting or distressing circumstances leading up to a concern or a complaint. 

We do not view behaviour as unacceptable just because someone is forceful or determined. 

We believe that all complainants have the right to be heard, understood and respected. However, we also consider that our staff have the same rights. We, therefore, expect you to be polite and courteous in your dealings with us. 

We will not tolerate aggressive or abusive behavior, unreasonable demands or unreasonable persistence. 

We have a separate policy to manage situations where we find that someone’s actions are unacceptable.


How to make a concern or complaint formally

You can express your concern in any of the ways below by:

  • asking for a copy of our form from the person with whom you are already in contact.
    Tell them that you want us to deal with your concern formally.

  • getting in touch with our Customer Services Team on 01267 232714

  • e-mailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • writing  a letter to us at the following address: 

Bro Myrddin Housing Association
Plas Myrddin
Merlin St
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire
SA31 1RU 

  • We have concern and complaint forms available at our office. 

  • Copies of this policy and the complaint form are available in welsh and as audio,
    large print another formats upon request.


Click here to make a concern or complaint online